Re: Re: Cohousing appraisals
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:23:02 -0700 (MST)
On 1/10/03 10:28 AM, Marty Roberts <MartyR [at] sonic.net> wrote:

>It also says to me that cohousing in the Bay area is only for the rich
>- or those lucky enough to have gotten into the Bay area market years
>ago.

No, not necessarily - what it means is that there are greater incentives
to get involved at the beginning and create a new project, where the key
factor in prices can be construction costs rather than "the market".
There are also lots of creative approaches people are taking to "get
beyond the market" in creating oportunities for affordability. A few
examples that I know of:

- Here at Swan's, original purchase prices were much lower: when we
bought in 2000, we paid more or less 1999 market rates, in an area that
has rapidly changed in perception in the past few years, in part as a
result of our being here. There are several first-time homebuyers here
who qualified for and received federal tax credits through a city
program, to help them afford mortgages (the credits phase in over five
years and get repaid if the owner resells during that time). The group,
by working with a nonprofit developer creating a mixed-use project with
city assistance, got some economies of scale and kept construction costs
down -- at a time when regional construction costs overall were going up
by as much as 25% in a QUARTER! This process minimized initial membership
costs; we also built in flex on our capital investment in the project,
with some members contributing more than 10% of their expected unit
prices and others less. Today, One member is renting out two rooms in a
unit in addition to living there, both to offset mortgage costs and to
help provide housing for those who might not otherwise be able to afford
it.

- At Mariposa Grove, across town, one member bought several rundown
buildings cheap and got real "sweat equity" (not just the theoretical
kind) in having community members who might not otherwise be able to
afford buying into coho fix up each other's units and increase the
capacity of the project. They're likely to become a limited-equity co-op,
rather than condo, because a couple of members have no credit history or
a recent bankruptcy.

- At Temescal Commons, also in Oakland, a church group developed the
project with an affordable unit built in. At least one member owns a
building adjacent to the project and rents out rooms within it to
participants.

- At Temescal Creek, a retrofit project, several people rent within the
project; at least one member was able to buy in through a family member's
credit, while continuing to live a life of "voluntary simplicity".

- East Bay Cohousing core groups (especially an active "Coho with a
Clubhouse" group recently) are looking at creating a project as part of a
larger "transit village" development, and integrating a mix of affordable
and rental units.

- Berkeley Cohousing got a law passed specifically providing communities
with an alternative to paying for replacement of rental housing they take
off the market: they are a "limited-equity condo", with prices (for the
first 30 years) set by formula based on area median income and
eligibility for purchase determined similarly. There are a few renters of
units and rooms in units rented out.

Some of these techniques do have drawbacks, including removing not only
the cost to get in but also the OPPORTUNITY to resell at a profit and
"move up" to other housing... which, for many Americans, is seen as the
road for individual/family economic progress. In other cases, by
abandoning the conventional home purchase/finance structure, we cut out
access to the low-downpayment easy-credit financing model that goes with
it. The market is a tool, with particular costs and benefits associated
with using it... and remember that what goes up, does come down, as Doyle
Street coho (Emeryville, CA) found during the early-1990s real estate
bust that hit near its completion and kept it from filling for a while.

So please don't assume that everybody here is rich (at a technology
tradeshow in SF this week, at least 3/4 of the people I'm talking to are
out of work), or that Cohousing in any particular place is forever out of
your reach... to paraphrase Scoop Nisker, "If you don't like Cohousing
prices, go out and make some of your own!"

Raines

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Where we're assembling new Ikea chairs for the Common House.

  Facilitator, East Bay Cohousing [on hiatus] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
About to announce the next "Coho with a Clubhouse" meeting.

  Boardmember, The Cohousing Network <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Thanking all the members and contributors in 2002!