data infrastructure
From: tom zito (tomplanetmind.net)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:23:07 -0700 (MST)

hey all,

I'm writing to see if anyone out there has built high speed data infrastructure into their community. We're going to (hopefully) be entering the infrastructure building phase in about 4 months here at Pacifica (nee. Bolin Creek) in North Carolina, and we're beginning to look at costing out conduit, looking at using fibre vs copper, etc. I was wondering who's done what out there, and what your experiences were, what advice do you have, anything really.

Some of our questions that we're looking at are
Can we look at data network/outside access as a utility?
can we do VOIP phones and will it save us money in the long run?
What kind of infrastructure should we build in houses and to houses?

thanks for any help
tom

http://www.end-the-cycle.org/coho/