Re: Call for Support
From: S. Kashdan (skashdanscn.org)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:09:01 -0700 (MST)
Hello Kim,

When you go to the meeting, maybe it would be helpful to tell everyone there
that cohousing communities have often proven to be real assets to
neighborhoods. Here in Seattle, every neighborhood has a community council,
which represents the interests and concerns of the local homeowners and
renting residents and  businesses to the Seattle City Council and the
Mayor's Office. Jackson Place Cohousing was invited by the Jackson Place
Community Council to build in the Jackson Place neighborhood to help upgrade
the neighborhood. We were actually given some special consideration and some
discounts because of this in our purchase of vacant city land. And, a little
more than a year after we moved in, the Jackson Place Community Council is
pleased with their decision to invite us in. We provide them with a free
monthly meeting place in our common house dining room. Some of our members
have joined the Council and participate in its work. We engage in street
clean-ups every few months, we participate in local food bank and other such
drives. And, our neighbors (individual homeowners and renters and
storekeepers and workers) have all expressed themselves as happy that we are
here too.

I hope this helps a little.

We have our fingers crossed for you. Good luck tonight.

Sylvie Kashdan
skashdan [at] scn.org
Jackson Place Cohousing
800 Hiawatha Place South