cultural/racial diversity
From: Gotogenes (Gotogenesaol.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:04:01 -0700 (MST)
we're doing a lot of research on the various eco villages and co housing
neighborhoods, particularly on the west coast but there's something we're not
clear about.
the word "diversity" is almost always included in the vision statements and
we see diversity by occupation,sexual orientation, religion, politics and
lifestyle etc. however  the ones we've looked at (for all their undoubted
merits) appear very wasp-ish.
my wife is japanese and i'm a brit. we're both naturalized americans and our
kids have lived here all their life. my wife (even though she's lived in usa
for 25 years) in some ways is still very much an oriental and is most
comfortable living with a mix of races and nationalities, at least a
smattering of color. myself also.
is my perception wrong? i'm sure that most communities reach out, or even
actively seek, a multi racial community yet i don't see much of it.
does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? at the moment this is the one
piece of the jigsaw that's missing for us.
marc

stop