school performance in coho kids
From: Cheryl A. Charis-Graves (ccharisjeffco.k12.co.us)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:24:05 -0700 (MST)
Another significant variable is the type of school attended by coho
kids. Some attend public schools, some attend charter schools, some
attend private schools, some are home schooled. Some receive grades,
some receive quarterly "reports" of their progress, some receive no
grades but are tracked via portfolios.

I'd bet what you would find is that there is more variability in the
form of schooling experienced by coho kids than typical neigborhood
kids.

If this were coming up in my community, it would be an emotionally-
laden issue for me. I have worked in education for 27 years, enrolled
my daughter in a non-traditional school setting, and have some issues
about the potentially harmful effects of rating student success with
grades.

It would take time for me to sort this through.

Anyway, I think the idea of an annual report is good. I am thinking we
are not ready to include GPA as a measure of community success. And
there are so many other great indicators. I am glad to see that there
will be a range of "measures."

Cheryl Charis-Graves
Harmony Village, Golden CO