Re: cultural/racial diversity
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:31:01 -0700 (MST)

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 10:02  AM, Gotogenes [at] aol.com wrote:
the word "diversity" is almost always included in the vision statements and we see diversity by occupation,sexual orientation, religion, politics and lifestyle etc. however the ones we've looked at (for all their undoubted
merits) appear very wasp-ish.
my wife is japanese and i'm a brit. we're both naturalized americans and our kids have lived here all their life. my wife (even though she's lived in usa
for 25 years) in some ways is still very much an oriental and is most
comfortable living with a mix of races and nationalities, at least a
smattering of color. myself also.

The problem with any new and thus marginal social phenomenon is that it is marginal. For those who are in the minority to join would be duplicating their minority -- minority on top of minority. So getting minority households involved is difficult at best.

If you look at the actual numbers, cohousing communities are more diverse than their larger communities. Mine is certainly more diverse than any community of 43 households that I could choose to live in anywhere, even in Manhattan. Urban communities will more diverse than suburban communities because suburban communities are probably the least diverse in America. Rural communities even less diverse. But that is where the land is.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC