Re: cultural/racial diversity
From: S. Kashdan (skashdanscn.org)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:09:12 -0700 (MST)
Hi all,

This is Sylvie Kashdan of

Jackson Place Cohousing
800 Hiawatha Place South
Seattle, WA 98144
www.seattlecohousing.org

I think this question of diversity has many facets.

Jackson Place Cohousing is an urban community located in a very diverse
neighborhood, adjacent to Seattle's International District, which includes
many people from China, Taiwan, the Philippines, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand,
Formosa, etc.  and also recent immigrants and refugees from African
countries, and what used to be a small Polish-American neighborhood, and the
Central District, which includes African-Americans and recent immigrants and
refugees from African countries such as Somalia, Kenya, etc. We do interact
with our neighbors and are working on increasing our interactions.

Our community of 27 households includes one man of Chinese-American
ancestry, one woman whose mother and her family come from Syria, and me,
whose father and his family come from Siberia and are Siberian native
people. We also have an adopted child from Thailand. Four of our adult
members come from Jewish backgrounds, and two are practicing Jews. Of
course, at the beginning of the 20th century Jews, especially those from
Eastern Europe were not considered to be white (or even Americanizable).

Jackson Place Cohousing, where we are enjoying our rainy season, and hoping
that we get enough snow in our mountains so we can have enough water next
summer when the rains stop.

Jackson Place Cohousing
800 Hiawatha Place South
Seattle, WA 98144