Re: data infrastructure
From: Joe Gotobed (joesonoracohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:50:12 -0700 (MST)

Hi All,

Here at Sonora I ran a fiber cable from each home (2pr
MM, 1pr SM) to the common house to insure electrical
isolation and unlimited growth. In each home I ran
category 6 to each phone outlet box.

The conduit in the ground is 11/13 HDPE and DID resist
a backhoe attack where all the PVC failed. I used 1/2"
flex ("Smurf") in the homes to carry the fiber to the
the cat6 nexus.

The entire arrangement is now switched 10mbps and is
capable of 1000 that when we can afford it :-).

In the common house we're running a web//email server
with a 3mbps cable modem link to the Internet. I would
say we need three times that but nobody's selling for
what we can afford :-).

The total cost was about $1800 per home and 1000hrs of
labor. Commercial bids were in the $3200/home range and
in retrospect I'd agree that's a fair price :-).

I expect we'll begin delivering our own telephone and
cable service over the fiber in a year or so and that's
when I expect to see the real payoff.

Cheers,
Joe