Re: Small business and shared resources questions
From: S. Kashdan (skashdanscn.org)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:22:04 -0700 (MST)
At Jackson Place Cohousing
800 Hiawatha Place South
Seattle, WA 98144
www.seattlecohousing.org

We have a number of people who work at home, with rooms set aside in their
own homes for their offices or work areas. One person is an artist, and has
set aside one room in her home for an art studio. If anyone wants to do
their own personal work in the common house or in our common workshop, there
is no problem with that, except they can't leave things set up for a long
time and expect them not to be disturbed. I think that if someone wanted to
use the common house kitchen to make food to sell on a regular basis or to
use the dining room or living room as a place to sell things on a regular
basis, we would have to discuss that. And, most community members would
probably oppose that because it would interfere with community activities in
the common house. But, that hasn't come up yet.

I can't comment about raising animals because we don't have enough land for
individuals to raise animals. We do have enough land and adjacent city land
to have a large vegetable garden for the community and individuals who want
to use it. The things that people grow in their individual gardens are
theirs to do with what they please; most have chosen to donate surplus to
neighbors and the community kitchen, but they could sell vegetables and
fruits if they wished to.  We also have some fruit trees. We are also
thinking about  getting some chickens, which would belong to the entire
community, but only cared for by a few people. There has been some concern
about bad odors from the chicken coop. We don't have any room for other
animals.

However, if a rural cohousing community had plots that were large enough for
homes and grasing animals, I don't think there would necessarily be any
problems about raising animals on your individual land plot--unless some of
the other members didn't like it for some reason. That would be an
individual question, not inherent in the nature of cohousing.

I hope this helps a little.

Sylvie Kashdan
skashdan [at] scn.org
Jackson Place Cohousing