Re: moving in
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:14:03 -0700 (MST)
At RoseWind, in Port Townsend Washington, in recent years any moves have
been for resales, and quite a few people have voluntarily turned out to
help new arrivals.

My next door neighbors arrived from Juneau in March, and had shipped
their belongings down the Pacific coast via barge. So a truck arrived
with a gigantic 40-foot shipping "container", full of all their family's
belongings for home, kids, and work. And after an hour or two, keeping
the truck was going to cost a dollar a minute!

They had hired a professional mover and his helper, but, especially with
the house on three levels, that was a drop in the bucket! One of our
women took the two young children off to her place, another made a big
pot of soup to feed the workers later in the day, and a dozen or so of us
unloaded the whole shebang, just in time to avoid the extra charges.

One of my jobs was to collect and stack packing paper and cardboard and
trundle it off right away to the recycling center. I made a few more
trips like that in the following days, as they piled the recycling on
their front porch.

It all happened quite smoothly, with no sense of judgement either about
those who were not helping.

The couple themselves were able to mainly take the role of directing
traffic - that goes upstairs, leave that here, that goes to the basement.
It worked well and we all felt good about it.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com