Sociocracy
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:59:05 -0700 (MST)

A group of 9 or so met at Takoma Village in DC on Saturday for the second half of a workshop on the basic sociocratic principles. John Buck, the only English-speaker certified as a Sociocracy trainer is a very good workshop leader and we now are closer to understanding the "why" of of the basic principles -- consent, circles, double links, open elections -- all based on maintaining equivalence.

The more I learn about this method of organization, the more I like it. Recognition of the individual as the source of creativity and energy is lost in many organizational schemes, including democracies. Sociocracy preserves this emphasis by creating social circles that establish equivalence in decision-making and seek to produce harmony.

We also decided to formally start a dialogue about sociocracy in cohousing and i was elected (sociocratically) to organize the effort for the next 6 months. Applying the organizational method in cohousing will be a challenge requiring some careful thinking. Applications in corporations do not always have counterparts in small (relatively speaking) living situations. And then there is the problem of how you get started in an already functioning community. Harder than starting from scratch.

There is a general list for discussion of sociocracy

sociocracy [at] yahoogroups.com

But I would like to know how much tolerance there is for discussion of sociocracy in cohousing here?

I would also like to hear from cohousing groups that are currently using sociocratic principles and method or considering using it. I will be putting up a sociocracy in cohousing web page and would like to post links and progress reports.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC