multigenerational diversity
From: Marian Shostrom (mshostromhotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:22:01 -0700 (MST)

I have to jump in and refute Rob's notion that one-bedroom units attract families without children. When we joined Pleasant Hill Cohousing (before being built, but after design), we were interested in a 3- or 4-bedroom unit, and were on the waiting list. At the time, in the four-bedroom units were: 6 couples w/ith no children; one single; one family with two children, and one couple with child soon to be away at college. The truth is that it was hard for young families to afford the larger units. (this, of course, may be a California thing). After move in we have: 5 couples with no children, 9 2-parent families with children, 5 single moms with children, and 13 singles. We have a nice diversity of age, which I think we all like.
The key to it all is flexibility, especially close to move in time.

Marian Shostrom
Pleasant Hill Cohousing