Re: Re: Cohousing Mainstream
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:49:01 -0700 (MST)

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 06:07  PM, Mac & Sandy Thomson wrote:

I don't know whether cohousing will ever become mainstream (whatever that
is), but I'd sure like to see it become MUCH more available.  [snip]
I like that cohousing has no ideology other than an intension to live in greater harmony with our neighbors. IMHO, discouraging non-liberals who seek community from joining cohousing unnecessarily stifles the growth of
cohousing and the richness of diversity found therein.

The ideas and organizing methods will become more mainstream without being "labeled" cohousing. Neighbors are already asking us "how do you do that." We have several very organized neighborhood associations who are interested in concepts of conflict resolution and shared resources. These are the skills that will feed community development.

The image of a group of people building new homes centered around a commonhouse is not likely to "become the norm" but that isn't what brings most of us to cohousing. That format only enables it in our current housing situation. Infill or building communities in existing housing would be just as satisfying as a living situation. For now, the new communities are just easier since it allows people who are already thinking along similar lines to find each other without displacing or rearranging whole neighborhoods of people.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC