Re: Fifty Plus Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:24:00 -0700 (MST)

Being 50-plus, I do understand why people want a community that focuses less on the interests of children and child rearing and more on adults. I personally enjoy living in a community with the full range of ages but there are days when it gets tiresome to have all the activities and facilities be "child proof" or "child friendly." Remembering that there are teenagers on the loose and beer cannot be left in the fridge or wine on the counter or finding yet another place to store the spare forks since the toddlers have reached drawer opening height does get frustrating when you are doing it "again." Fifty years of loud music, the boy-girl dramas, school and career competition, and divorce and divorce and divorce is quite enough thank you.

But perhaps what we need is a greater understanding that cohousing can be child friendly without being child dominated. Some areas and times could be exclusively adult -- not with age restrictions but with behavior and programing expectations. Some dinners where macaroni and cheese are not served or rooms where magazines can be left out without being destroyed.

Perhaps the original poster could say why she wants a 50+ community.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC