Re: Cohousing Principles and the Contradictions of Practice
From: Sara A. (mabonwymindspring.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:21:01 -0700 (MST)

At 06:06 PM 2/19/03 -0800, you wrote:
1. Do you feel it's necessary or appropriate to have one person with
absolute power to perform it?

Not particularly.  It's not necessarily troublesome, unless...

2. Do you feel it appropriate that he should do so without providing any
formal statement of the standards on which this censorship is based?

...there are no clear guidelines. What is obviously off-topic to one person is NOT obvious to another. Assuming that it is always leads to trouble. But rather than defining the rules too narrowly, I tend to prefer letting people say what they want as long as they aren't calling each other names.

3. If you feel there should be formal standards, how do you feel those
standards should be created?

As simply as possible. You can't think of every possible contingency, which is precisely why I favor loosely enforced guidelines for a list. Another approach is, of course, to have a moderator team.

Sara