Re: Are kitchens in the front important and why?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 07:27:01 -0700 (MST)

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 04:05  AM, Joani Blank wrote:

I'd always heard that it is important to get that kitchen right up front facing on the common courtyard or pedestrian street. And the rationale was so that people hanging walking by could readily greet those just inside the kitchen window, and vice versa. After all, many of us pretty much live in our kitchens,

We have our kitchens and living rooms up front. Not sure how anyone feels about it but on the theory that most of us spend lots of time in kitchens -- I don't think we have any members who spend much time in the kitchen. I'm absolutely sure that many of us do not spend any more time there than in the bathroom (showers, bathing babies, etc.) Grazing is pretty much the feeding mode.

We are not lot development and thus are much closer together and see each other on the paths and in the commonhouse. I'm not sure the upfrontness of things matters so much but then if the bedrooms were upfront, it would have hard to tell at night who was home. You couldn't see the lights.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC