Re: kitchen design
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:26:01 -0700 (MST)
>Having visited Rosewind and seen their kitchen (courtesy of Lynn) , I have
>to say I had the most intense case of Coho Kitchen Envy ever documented when
>I glimpsed it.  It was laid out beautifully and I am glad to hear Lynn say
>that the dishwashing set up works well.
>
>Casey Morrigan

Thanks are due to Pioneer Valley architect Mary Kraus, who consulted with
us on RoseWind's kitchen design. Her clean-side/dirty side layout, as
well as the placement of the appliances, serving areas etc. has worked
really well. We designed most of our common house ourselves, but Mary's
capable input on the kitchen was really helpful. Plus she's really nice
to work with.

Further appliance notes: We've been happy with our choices: a large, but
not commercial fridge, ditto on Dacor range top, big enough for large
pots, and separate convection oven.
We have spray table, 3-part pot sink, and a usual two-side steel sink
useful for hands, vegetable prep etc, as well as hand washing small
quantities of dishes, or odd items like sharp knives. The adjacent pantry
has an open mop closet, which includes a seldom-used small wall-mounted
sink, and a useful floor-level drain pan with faucets placed for filling
buckets. In the dining room, a beverage bar area has a counter with
coffee and hot water maker, various pitchers or beverage bottles, a small
bar sink with drinking water filter,  open shelves for cups and glasses,
drawers with tea bags, bottle openers, etc.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com
http://www.ptforpeace.info (very active peace movement here- see our