kitchen accessibility
From: S. Kashdan (skashdanscn.org)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 07:31:01 -0700 (MST)
I wish we had at least one preparation sink that was low enough to be
wheelchair accessible. We don't have anyone in a wheelchair right now, but
some members have friends and neighbors who use wheelchairs. And in the
future, we might have members who use wheelchairs. And a low sink would be
easier for  children who are helping in the kitchen to reach.

I don't know if it would be possible for a person in a wheelchair to use a
deep sink, even if it were low enough. The deep sinks are great, especially
for large pots, etc., but they are a little hard on the back, even for those
of us who don't have back problems and are standing up.

I also wish we had at least one preparation counter that was low enough to
be wheelchair accessible. And such a low counter would also be easier for
children who are helping in the kitchen to reach.

Oh, by the way, I strongly recommend that every common kitchen have padded
mats of some sort, especially in the clean-up areas, because standing on
one's feet while pushing dishes around and scrubbing sinks and counters,
etc.  can be wearing on the feet and the back when the floor is even a
little hard.

Sylvie Kashdan
skashdan [at] scn.org
Jackson Place Cohousing