Re: Sociocracy and Consensus
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:07:01 -0700 (MST)
On 3/31/2003 11:23 PM, "Rob Sandelin" <floriferous [at] msn.com> wrote:

> I assume there is equality in decision voice between those elected
> representative and those who just show up, or is this not the case?

Yes. Everyone is "equivalent." Any objections have to be resolved.

In cohousing I suspect that everyone would want to be included in the
general circle. The system has been worked out most completely in business
contexts where everyone is "required" to show up. In Endenburg's company
workers are also owners.

I'm not sure what happens in a community when there are people who don't
want to show up. I suspect the same as happens now. In the Ecovillage,
everyone is required to work, but not everyone is required to participate in
decision making unless they wish (at least that is my sense).

In the Netherlands, Sociocracy is taught in the university -- Endenburg is
on a faculty now -- and businesses that use Sociocratic structure are not
required to have what are essentially government mandated unions.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org