Re: Median income and HUD
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 07:34:02 -0700 (MST)
On 4/04/2003 9:03 AM, "Fred H Olson" <fholson [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

> urther, for a project to get assistance, only a certain
> percenta ge of participants need to be low or very low income.  In these
> economic times, it's not all that hard for many people to qualify; the
> difficulty is that sometimes it takes so long to work through the process,
> that by the time you're ready to take advanta ge of it, you may have
> ceased to qualify.

The other problem we ran into in Florida was that the local people could not
explain to us what the requirements were or how to meet them. Further they
wanted the person receiving the grant to apply and then they would find out.
The problem was we had to know who _could_ apply and what for before we
could find someone who _would_ apply.

The $ amounts were there but no one knew the rest of the process,
particularly how long they would be in effect. When building cohousing you
don't  know in what year you will finally close and sign for the mortgage.

In hind sight, one of us should have applied just to force the process and
learn the ropes, even if we would have been refused, but we were so burdened
with other tasks we wouldn't have had time to take on another one even if we
had thought of it.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org