Re: Board of Directors
From: S. Kashdan (skashdanscn.org)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:17:01 -0600 (MDT)
From: <WOLF1GDSFM [at] aol.com>
To: <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 8:32 PM
Subject: [C-L]_Board of Directors
How have other cohousing communities dealt with the Board of Directors
issue?

Here at Jackson Place Cohousing in Seattle, Washington, our board of
directors consists of all homeowners. The law requires us to have board
officers: president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. We elect them
for two year terms, with two being elected each year. They are the ones who
are ready to sign the various legal papers for our condo association when
they come our way. The treasurer is part of the finance team, and reports to
that team and the whole group on a regular basis. The secretary is in charge
of taking notes at board meetings, and community business meetings, and
coordinating committee meetings. All four officers are part of our
coordinating committee. Each team also sends representatives they chose to
the coordinating committee, which meets twice a month--once before each
business meeting, and once afterwards to do more coordinating and get things
in order. The coordinating committee coordinates between the teams and
decides on business meeting agendas. Since we don't have any lawyers here,
we rely on our lawyer for any know-how that goes beyond what us layfolks
know. Here in Washington State, there is also a consumer organization for
homeowners associations, that helps condominium associations, cooperatives
and such in dealing with those kinds of things. They have pamphlets, give
classes, referrals, etc.

Sylvie Kashdan
skashdan [at] scn.org
Jackson Place Cohousing