Re: Individual vs. the group in consensus process
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:28:01 -0600 (MDT)
On 4/23/2003 11:44 AM, "Jeanne Goodman" <GoodmanJ [at] jpcohousing.org> wrote:

> If I feel REALLY strongly that the name of my group will serve the group
> poorly, I make my case about why it will serve the group poorly. If the
> others disagree, it is vital for us all to consider carefully why the name
> feels right or wrong for the needs of the group. If I cannot persuade the
> group to see that the name must be changed, then I need to be willing to
> accept that my suggestion might not be in the best of the group. If this
> happens consistently I might assume that this might be the wrong group for
> me.

The ideal result would be a name that no one has objections to or that in
the process of understanding why you don't think it is a good name and
others explain why they think it is, that you come to accept that the name
has so much positive meaning for others that it comes to mean more to you,
even if you still don't love it.

Achieving that state of acceptance is more important in the long run than
"going along with the group" or "shutting up" without a full working through
of all the issues. Unless consensus is a goal, groups don't usually spend
enough time to get to that state.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org