Re: Re: commercial building
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:42:01 -0600 (MDT)
On 4/25/2003 2:08 PM, "Lynn Nadeau" <welcome [at] olympus.net> wrote:

> Much depends on
> a) Studying the fine print in the building code and understanding the
> alternatives and
> b) Your personal dealings with the bureaucrats, and how well you can
> convince them that you can have what you want AND they can be "doing
> their job." They need to be able to back up their decisions with SOME
> chapter and verse.

This is very important. I was trying to investigate or codes (Do we have to
have all the signs up that say how many people can be in each room, etc.
Every person had a different response. I have a friend who buys and sells
real estate, and she says the same thing -- read the code yourself and sit
there and make them explain to you why something is necessary.

If you don't read the code and question the inspectors and the zoning
people, you will be in deep do-do because allowing them to code you one way
will lead to other code requirements down the line.

In California in the 70s when people were going out into the country to
build their own houses, they found all sorts of ways to get around the code.
One person followed the code for a boat house. She was out in the middle of
a huge field and her house was up on 10 ft stilts but she had her house.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org