Re: Speaking of renters...
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:44:01 -0600 (MDT)
On 4/25/2003 1:13 PM, "Marty Roberts" <MartyR [at] sonic.net> wrote:

> Also, do people have a written rental agreement with renters and
> roommates that includes some expectation of participation?  Our
> experience here so far has been that roommates participate very, very
> little if at all.  This seems very uncohousing-like, but the owners say
> they need the income from whoever they can get.  And one of our houses
> has been rented out for almost a year to a family that has participated
> very little (when they do, we love it).

I think this is a standard problem but if you think about it, when people
are renting temporarily with no thought of staying longer than a year or
two, they may want to avoid getting attached. It makes leaving easier.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org