Re: Handmade Houses
From: Tricia Bowler-Archambault (tricia.bowlertelus.net)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:07:06 -0600 (MDT)
Hi Sharon,
I, too, have been aware from an early age how technology and the
construction business (with all its codes) has contributed to a loss of
knowledge and right to build our own homes.  In fact, in my family, it has
only been one generation (mine) that has not been capable of constructing my
own home.  My father, his father and many before them, built their own homes
with no training and little capital.  These homes still stand today, unlike
many of the "standard" homes that are built today with a shelf life of 50
years.  I find it fascinating that cobb homes do not meet the building code
when many cobb homes in Europe that are over 400 years old still stand after
having housed generations of families.

One of my reasons for looking into co-housing was to see how it may fit my
values and concerns for the high cost of housing.  Many people are working
to pay for housing.  There is nothing wrong with that if you do not sense
any other purpose on this planet.  But if you do, there is frustration in
spending significant hours working to pay the mortgage or rent.  Building
homes ourselves, with local materials, is one way to bring the costs down.
I am interested to know if others have any thoughts about this in relation
to the high cost of co-housing development.

Tricia