Re: Handmade Houses
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 17:23:04 -0600 (MDT)
A caveat -- While most people planning their cohousing unit aren't thinking
about resales, it does happen, and sometimes to the most dedicated members.
Quite apart from the practical aspects of some potential buyers being scared
off by oddities, it is Not Nice to subject some poor person who just wanted
a little more community in their life, and bought the only house available,
to the trials of funky plumbing or construction that a contractor called in
for repairs or renovations can't make heads or tails of.

This is something we've encountered with the one partially owner-built house
in the community -- the new owner spent a winter showering at the common
house before the third or fourth plumber she had hired finally straightened
out the problems, and I know the repair bills have been a major stress to
her financially.

Building ordinances exist for good reason.

Kay