Re: Xeriscaping
From: Becky Weaver (becky_weaverio.com)
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:15:02 -0600 (MDT)
I think the idea that xeriscaping allows the soil to heat up arises from a
misconception. Real xeriscaping can be wonderfully lush and cool. Here in
Austin we have a summer that's hot and dry, but like most places, even in
the West, it's by no means desert. Here xeriscaping involves a huge variety
of beautiful plants, including lots of shade trees and leafy shrubs.

I suspect Colorado is much the same. People tend to think "sun beating on
cactus" when they hear "xeriscape," but unless sand and cactus are all you
see in the nearest state park, there are many more choices than that. Even
lawn grasses! My xeriscaped backyard has big pecan trees shading the house
(and producing lots of nuts every 2 years), leafy seaoats grass (looks like
miniature bamboo), and native flowers and shrubs. I even grow roses without
extra water - I just had to find the right varieties. The xeriscaped areas
are cooler than the front lawn (which I haven't gotten around to landscaping
yet), and require no extra watering to stay green and leafy all summer. When
the (clay) soil gets dry it cracks and shrinks, and I have remind myself to
water *the house,* to keep the foundation from being demolished. The plants
look so green and happy that sometimes I forget.

Even sandy or shallow soils often have some plants that will grow thickly
and greenly upon them. Xeriscaping just involves making good use of those
plants.

Becky Weaver
Central Austin Cohousing