Re: Xeriscaping
From: Grant McCormick (grantmcu.arizona.edu)
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 19:05:02 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

In Tucson, the term "xeriscape" is often inaccurately pronounced as "zeroscape". Interestingly, there's a common form of landscaping here which deserves such a term - typically a few barrel cacti, and perhaps several desert shrubs set in a sea of gravel. This is indeed a recipe for heat build up. Good Xeriscaping in Tucson normally includes significant shading of buildings and the ground near buildings with drought-tolerant trees, thereby reducing the heating effect (regardless of the type of mulch used).

My experience has been that bare soil sheds the most water and will always be the hottest, followed by gravel mulches, and then organic mulches (the most absorbent and cooling). Gravel mulches have been called into question recently, not due not to heat build up, but based on the presumption that gravel doesn't allow water penetration as effectively as organic mulches do. I believe this occurs because much of the decomposed granite (the most common type of gravel mulch here ) has a large amount of fine soil/sand particles mixed in, which fills in pore spaces and reduces percolation.

The best mulch probably depends on the application. Most desert plants have evolved in mineral soils (low organic components) with a ground surface not unlike a gravel mulch. Some feel desert plants germinate best beneath a gravel mulch, and its clear they thrive naturally with little organic matter. For covering relatively large desert areas, gravel mulches are preferable on a cost and longevity basis (they persists almost indefinitely, unlike things such as bark mulch). Organic mulches make the most sense to me where intensive cultivation occurs (e.g., regular watering, adding soil amendments, "improving the soil" and so on with the intent of yielding flowers, produce, or other garden results that won't happen in a purely naturalized garden).

Presumably, appropriate mulching practices will vary depending on regional climate, soils, and gardening goals. Look and see what nature leaves on the ground in your area - this probably gives a good clue as to the appropriate mulch to be used in the majority of your landscape. It seems overly dogmatic to assume, as I've heard from time to time, that one form or another or mulch is categorically the best way to go.

Grant
At Sonora, where the Citrus blooms are waning, and the Saguaro blooms are not far off.