Cohousing e-news volume 1, number 2 (5/8/03)
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 09:21:01 -0600 (MDT)
Raines Cohen is the sender of the message below but due to a problem,

NOTE: The new "Cohousing e-news" was emailed to a large number of
people direct from Coho/US (formerly TCN) as well as this copy being
distributed over cohousing-L.  Some (many?) people will get both copies.
But some people will get only one or the other copy.  I regret there is no
simple way to avoid this duplication.  At end of the direct copy
there are instructions to request not getting it (and other options).

Of course, the end of every cohousing-L message includes a pointer to
unsubscribe info.

Fred, cohousing-L list manager

Cohousing e-news, volume 1, number 2 (May 8, 2003)

brought to you by the Cohousing Association of the United States
(Coho/US) [formerly The Cohousing Network (TCN)], its members and
sponsors.

http://www.cohousing.org/

---
IN THIS ISSUE:

- A new identity for new times: TCN becomes Coho/US
- Last chance to register for Nat'l Coho Conference at best rates
- Coho/US 2002 Annual Report/Directory released
- "Right on the Money!" PBS cohousing profile
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter communities tour May 17
- $1,000 referral fee offered by Colorado Springs coho

Please share this with your neighbors and others interested in cohousing.

This issue features an experiment in coho-related classified ads from our
website interspersed with articles; please let us know at
editor [at] cohousing.org if you find this format helpful or annoying.

---
A new identity for new times:

The Cohousing Network (TCN) becomes The Cohousing Association of the
United States

TCN's board of directors reached a consensus decision in December 2002 to
change its name to "The Cohousing Association of the United States," or
"Coho/US" for short.

And this week the change becomes official.

This bold change came in part to broaden our identity and to develop a
more formal and permanent profile with potential cohousers, the news
media and local governments. The new name will help brand us as the
authority of the cohousing movement. Our new name also reinforces that
cohousing is about the "concept of us" by emphasizing the two most
important letters in the middle of cohousing: "us."

The old name had two strikes against it, according to the organization's
Communications Team, which developed a proposal for a new name. The first
is the unclear definition of "network," which isn't as widely understood
as "association." TCN also did not signify the scope of the organization
-- whether it's local, regional, statewide or national.

Other changes in store include a new logo (now visible on our website,
http://www.cohousing.org/ ). Next steps include a re-design of our
website and new format for our newsletter.

---
CLASSIFIED AD: FOR RENT (SHORT-TERM)
3 bedroom, 1 bath townhouse in Muir Commons Cohousing, Davis, California
available from July 1st to September 30th. Utilities, local phone, and
wireless internet included. $1,400/month.

http://www.cohousing.org/services/classified.html

---
Have you registered for the 2003 National Cohousing Conference?

May 9 (yes, that's tomorrow!) is the deadline for early-bird registration
(in case you thought it was May 1 and you missed it, consider this your
second-chance and the omen you were looking for). THE conference,
scheduled for June 19-22 in Boulder, Colorado, is shaping up to be the
cohousing event of the year with an exciting offering of workshops for
every level of cohousing, a great keynote speaker, tours of local
communities and many fun events. The top names in cohousing will be
there, helping attendees to enhance their cohousing experience. For more
information, go to:

http://www.cohousing.org/conference.html.

Many communities chip in to cover one or more of their members attending
the conference (road trip!) to report back: have you asked for support in
your community? Some forming and building communities are sending several
people to get the most from the conference, which features as many as
five simultaneous sessions. Let us know if you need some lobbying to get
the support you need. And keep in mind: if your community or organization
is a Coho/US member, you qualify for the member-only discounts that can
save you hundreds of dollars.

The pre-conference workshops held on Friday the 19th include the classic
"Getting it Built" overview; conflict resolution advice; Facilitation
techniques; Living in Community; Site Acquisition; and Design &
Construction. Don't forget the Professionals Day Thursday and bus tours
of communities in the area both Thursday and Friday (limited seats
available -- sign up now to get in!).

You can still find reasonable airfares to Denver (code: DIA; a short hop
from Boulder) from all over, and you won't need a rental car if you're
staying at the reasonably-priced dorm accomodations. If you'd rather not
fly, take advantage of Amtrak's 25% discount rate (on top of some already
reduced prices) by booking online at www.amtrak.com and using discount
code H315. It's a wonderful scenic journey in every direction, with
interesting potential stopovers.

Look for conference brochures bundled with your 2002 Annual Report and
Communities Directory (see below): please do share them with potential
attendees!

If you have any questions about registration, or are thinking about
coming but need more info or more time, please call or write
conference [at] cohousing.org. The more we know about your plans (even if
they're not firm yet), the better a job we can do of getting the
facilities reserved.
---
CLASSIFIED AD: FOR SALE
Beautiful Light-SW exposure 1 bedroom plus loft bedroom, Duwamish
Cohousing, Seattle, WA. Gas Fireplace, generous living space, close to
downtown.

http://www.cohousing.org/services/classified.html

---
Now arriving: the 2002 annual report and communities directory

Members: Watch your mail for the 2002 Annual Report and Communities
Directory, hot off the press! This 36-page publication should make
interesting reading for everyone involved in cohousing. If you ARE not on
the mailing list (perhaps you or your community hasn't renewed lately?)
and you'd like to receive a copy of the publication, send an e-mail to
office [at] cohousing.org. If your community is a member, ask your community
contact to share the copies he or she received.

The Annual Report, besides showcasing our new logo (designed by
cohousers, by the way), reports on the state of the cohousing movement,
with commentary from pioneer Kathryn McCamant, as well as looking at
Coho/US's strategic plan for building and nurturing the development of
the movement, and a report on Cohousing media coverage last year.

The Communities Directory provides new depth and current information on
the 61 completed communities in the US (now in 17 states plus D.C.), with
detailed descriptions of their unique attributes, plus standardized info
like location type (urban, suburban, rural, small town, etc.), common
house size, site acreage, number of kids and adults, and years
established and completed. We also map the 39 communities under
construction or with sites owned or optioned, and list the 41 communities
forming and seeking sites.

For information on Canadian cohousing communities, visit the Canadian
Cohousing Network:
http://www.cohousing.ca/

While the Coho/US Communications Team spent months collecting and
updating information to create the directory, we found it a challenge to
keep up with out-of-date websites and changing group plans: Synergy
Cohousing is now Emerald Place Cohousing, breaking ground in Delray,
Florida this fall.

Let us know of your updates: we like to hear about what's new in your
community, both good news and bad. Heck, let us know what's going on in
other communities, too! Drop a line to Evangeline Welch, Coho/US
publications coordinator, at editor [at] cohousing.org; for communities
updates, also see the online Communities List on our site for update
instructions.

---
CLASSIFIED AD: LOOKING FOR NEW NEIGHBORS
Newly completed in Colorado Springs, CO, at the foot of beautiful Pikes
Peak. Casa Verde Commons: 34 Victorian-style duplexes and Craftsman style
common house. Urban infill site near downtown. Close-by shopping,
excellent schools, cultural venues, and recreation. Two floorplans
available, 2-5 bedrooms starting at $227,000.

http://www.cohousing.org/services/classified.html

---
Wow, Cohousing made PBS again! (since the Lehrer Report appearance last
December)

Either aired recently or coming soon to a station near you:

"Right on the Money!", show #512, by Twin Cities Public TV
Show title: "Retiring on Less"
Original Air date: 4/5/03 (varies; some affiliates may show it this
month, next month, or later)

View the coho segment interview transcript, featuring Manzanita Village
(Prescott, AZ) residents Joan and Lou Burrell, at:

http://www.rightonthemoney.org/shows/512_howmuch/show_512.html#cohousing

You can find a station list at:

http://www.rightonthemoney.org/about/stations_list.html

(see individual station websites to see when this episode will air; it's
already run on many)
Copies of the video are available for $14.95 from the Right on the Money!
store:

http://www.rightonthemoney.org/store/

or call (888) MONEY79, ask for "Retiring on Less", episode 512.

---
CLASSIFIED AD: PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
Cohousing Development Company. Working to help groups realize their dream
of living in cohousing. We work east of the Rockies to the eastern
seaboard. Now working with groups in a number of states. All of the
owners live in Cohousing or in a "learning community". Extensive
experience in development, project management, we team up with national
and local experts to assist groups through the entire development process.

http://www.cohousing.org/services/classified.html
---
Coming next week: Mid-Atlantic communities tour

The Mid-Atlantic Chapter (MAC) of Coho/US invites you to the Spring 2003
Cohousing tour.

Join us on a comfortable tour bus with a knowledgeable guide while we
tour Takoma Village, Blueberry Hill, EcoVillage, Proximity Cohousing, and
Liberty Village. Residents of each of these communities will lead an
on-site visit. We will also hear from future residents of Eastern Village
and Chesapeake Cohousing. Join us for an exciting day of real-life
examples of neighborhood choices from urban to suburban to rural.

Cost: $50
Date: Saturday, May 17

See details for this and other upcoming events at:
http://www.cohousing.org/news/
---
CLASSIFIED AD: FOR SALE
More homes available at Hearthstone Cohousing! (Denver, CO) Local
farmer's market, historic theater, great neighborhood. Minutes from
downtown. Enjoy children's parks, walking labyrinth, community gardens,
and more!

http://www.cohousing.org/services/classified.html
---
Send someone to Colorado Springs Cohousing, earn $1,000

Louise Conner or Casa Verde Commons (Colorado Springs, CO) writes:

We are happy to say that we've completed the construction of our 34 home
plus common house community. We've sold or have under contract 27 homes,
with 7 homes in two floorplans available. Most of us have moved in, have
shared meals twice a week since last January, working on the garden area,
and expecting our xeriscaping any day now. We enjoy a wonderful climate
in a city of nearly 500,000, with national forests and Pikes Peak at the
edge of town.

We will pay any cohouser outside our community who sends us a homebuyer a
reward of $1,000. The buyers you refer to us need to tell us that you
sent them our way. That's all there is to it! [if any of you reading this
happen to buy, please do say that Coho/US sent you! We need the dough.
Other donations also welcome.]

http://www.ColoSpringsCohousing.com/

---
CLASSIFIED AD: FOR RENT
Sonora Cohousing, Tucson, AZ, 4br/3 bath townhome. Hardwood/tile floors,
A/C & ceiling fans, mountain views, high ceilings, huge basement,
pool/spa, lush landscaping. Near shopping, bus, bike path.

http://www.cohousing.org/services/classified.html

---
About this issue of Cohousing e-News

Editors: Raines Cohen, Dennis Jay, Joani Blank; Coho/US Comm Team
Coho/US Publications Manager: Evangeline Welch, editor [at] cohousing.org
Coho/US Executive Director: Roy O'Shaughnessy, execdir [at] cohousing.org
Our website: http://www.cohousing.org/

Copyright (c) 2003, The Cohousing Association of the United States
(Coho/US). All rights reserved. Please feel free to share this with
others interested in cohousing.