Re: Making changes in our decisions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:32:03 -0600 (MDT)
On 5/13/2003 1:10 PM, "sbraun" <sbraun [at] gmavt.net> wrote:

> I think Sharon hits the nail on the head, and perhaps explains why we
> don't feel like we are wallowing in mud. If a member wants to re-open a
> decision they have to bring a proposal, and the proposal has to include
> a rationale--a reason--for the change in whatever policy. Sometimes
> people have begun to work on proposals and haven't been able to come up
> with any reasons that haven't been discussed already (and reported in
> the minutes, which is a really important part of this). Then they
> usually drop it. Coming up with a  "reason" seems to be a good process
> of self education.

Thank you for the word "rationale". I've been working with a first level
translation from the Dutch -- word for word -- and looking for the best
English terms. "Reasoned argument" is a bit intimidating plus "argument" has
a negative connotation for those who are not familiar with the mathematical
and philosophical uses of "argument."

A rationale based on changed circumstances or new information must be
presented in order to change a decision.

Thanks,
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org