Donations from Community Funds
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:33:03 -0600 (MDT)
Question: What are your agreements and practices concerning making donations
in the name of the community from your general funds to local projects --
like bricks in public parks, books for the local library, funds for local
historical societies, funds for people burned out of houses, peace marches,
etc.

Our current issue is donating money to put a brick with the communities name
in the walk of the recreation center in a nearby park. The most opposing
concerns are that :

1. we would be doing this without considering the other donations and needs
in the community. Is this a priority greater than other needs? We have a
policy of not taking positions in the name of the community although we
support individuals in their efforts in the larger community.

2. For heaven's sake! It's $50. Just do it. It's the public rec center in
the park down the street where our kids play. What's the big deal? I'm
disgusted that people are being so stingy.

I realize that the second concern is stated emotionally and the first is
not, but that is how they are being stated here and I can't edit them more
objectively. BUT I would note that some of the emotion in the second concern
is probably in reaction to the unemotional "we just can't shoot from the hip
on these things" tone of the first concern.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org