Re: Donations from Community Funds
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 07:37:03 -0600 (MDT)
At New View (Acton MA) we don't have a policy against this, but we haven't
done it. Contributions have all been organized by one or more households,
asking other households if they want to donate.  Sometimes, households have
asked if the contribution can be done in the name of New View. Each time,
someone has raised a concern or an objection about it, based on their lack
of support for the specific cause, and the donations have proceeded without
that label.

We even do our contribution to the TCN -- I mean Coho/USA -- this way. A few
households contribute the money & tend to get first dibs on the magazines.

A lot of money gets raised using this model, without any need to involve the
monthly meetings or the steering committee.

The closest we get to supporting outside organizations is that we have a
political sign policy, regarding the use of the common space that is nearest
the main public road. We did manage to agree to support one state rep
candidate, and her sign was on our 'front lawn' for a couple of weeks.

-Jim