Re: Donations from Community Funds
From: Peg Blum (pegbcambridgecohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 08:38:03 -0600 (MDT)
At Cambridge Cohousing, we get lots of requests for contributions to
organizations and fundraising events from our very active community members.
The requests, are directed to us as individuals and individuals respond.

Our one exception is Coho/US which we consider a membership ($200 per year),
not a contribution, and that has come out of community funds after being
presented at a general meeting.  (We do not reimburse members who attend
Coho/US conferences.)

We also may consider becoming a member of Community Associations Institute
($100 per year), an organization for community, condo and homeowner
associations, if the Managing Board thinks it would be useful.

We have held candidate nights here for City Council and School Committee,
inviting the neighborhood.  A couple of members have used our living room to
host individual candidates.  I consider that the same as if I had a coffee
at my apartment  for a candidate, since the community living room is an
extension of my home.  We have been pretty much opposed to political signs
on our "street face" because we do have some political diversity within our
community.

Peg Blum

pegb [at] cambridgecohousing.org
http://www.cambridgecohousing.org