Kids and the Common House
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:08:02 -0600 (MDT)
Hi Randy, these are the things I would watch for.

1. Make sure you don't promise the kids anything that you might not be able
to deliver.  During planning and construction, the waters can get very rough
and  you may be asked to rethink  some previous decisions.   If you get the
kids too invested, they may feel some sense of betrayal if their decisions
need to be changed significantly.

2.  Remember that the needs and desires of kids change as they get older.
The kids who are planning a particular space may out grow out of it within a
few years after move in.

3.  Also, be flexible.  You may have over 20 kids now, but 10 years from now
there could be significantly less or more and their ages may be quite
different.

I think you might be safest if you focused on ideas like how to paint the
walls, what they'd like to put in the room,  and how they would like to
decorate the rooms.

Becky Schaller