Re: Kids and the Common House
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:23:02 -0600 (MDT)
I would in general leave more space than you "need" for hallways. Kids
congregate near adults but not with them. Hallways make wonderful mini rooms
for kids and on rainy days make great race tracks.

We have one long stretch which has been used for cartwheel training as well
as for toddlers pulling quacking ducks "forever."

We have a space around the dining area that is kept clear for accessibility
so it feels like a hallway even though there are no walls. Everyone knows it
is a hallway and thus becomes extra space for kids to play.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org