RE: 3 top conflict sources
From: Robyn (poviinet.net.au)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:57:02 -0600 (MDT)

About 1800 emails later...

At Pinakarri, vegetarians and omnivores are happy to eat vegetarian food
most of the time. We have a commitment to not to cook meat in the
commonhouse, so meat dishes are prepared at private homes and served in
the commonhouse which everyone is happy with. I'm one of the meat eaters
and I appreciate that vegos don't won't to eat amidst the smell of
cooked meat. Similarly, as a non-smoker, I don't want smoke around me,
although I haven't an objection to the person smoking.

What concerns me most is HOW we approach any issue of diversity. The
'versus' perspective isn't a helpful starting point, because it
perpetuates an either/or/compromise attitude. There is always a
solution; the issue is how to make it one that everyone is comfortable
with, and build in review and evaluation. It comes from a caring for
other/s, respect for self and recognising boundaries (resources, time,
etc).

Warm regards
Robyn Williams
Pinakarri Community