Rob's 1995 list of Top 10 issues and my 2001 comments
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 22:50:03 -0600 (MDT)
I (Judy)posted as below, on Sept 1, 2001  (top 10 issues in Cohousing + 3)
I still think Rob got a lot of them.
I'd also consider adding environmental sensitivities  to the list (I
mean non-use of various  cleaners, paints, etc., as opposed to
ecological/sustainability issues.
Judy
Monterey Cohousing, Minneapolis, MN

Brian wrote:
<<Someone said (I think I have it right) that the most contentious issues in
cohousing are Pets, Pesticides and Paint.

I believe it.

Brian Baresch baresch [at] earthlink.net
Delaware Street Commons

Maybe we should add Pesticides and Paint to Rob's old list (below).  I have
always  found it true and comforting, we all deal with lots of the same stuff.

Judy

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epi.umn.edu
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/

Here are a few issues which seem to come up a fair amount in cohousing
life. Call them Robs top 10 list for cohousing:

10. Community dinner - organization, kids behavior at, menu and food
preferences
9. Meetings - number of.  Lets have a meeting to talk about the number
of meetings??
8. Communication - where do we vent when something aint right?
7. Discovering personal attitudes - Recycle? Nah..........get out of my
face.
6. Use of common areas for private gigs.  Can I have my high school
reunion in the commonhouse? Glee club? Unitarian church? Ritual
dwaridian sacrifice to the earth mother?
5. Noise - Can I chainsaw wood at 7am on Sunday? (not at Sharingwood you
don't)
4. Kids - Parenting, childcare for, watching out over, disciplining
kids not your own in common areas
3. Neighbors outside cohousing - We are not a commune.  Really!
2.  Pets - Get your !@#$#@! dog out of my flowers!
1. Strangers peering into your window - Oh hi! We are just passing
through and wanted to look at this cohousing stuff I heard so much
about.......(This really happened to me just last weekend)

Rob Sandelin, 2-mar-1995