RE: Definition of Cohousing
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:38:05 -0600 (MDT)
On 6/4/03 3:02 PM, Maggie Dutton <mdutton [at] shaw.ca> wrote:

>>Raines Cohen said
>>Yes, and I believe you will not find them included in our printed
>>directory in our annual report last month - we applied tighter screening
>>to that, and removed communities that were using the term "cohousing" in
>>a radically different sense than we are, like shared room rental in a
>>house.
>
>What about a forming group that so far have only managed to acquire a large
>house to share? We call it cohousing incubation.
>Maggie Dutton,
>H.O.M.E.S. Housing Ourselves Made Easy Society, in Fort McMurray, Alberta.
>www.thehomesproject.shawbiz.ca

I personally put a lot of value on intent... i.e. use looser standards
for groups in the earlier phases that PLAN to have a Common House,
individual unit ownership; I acknowledge that it often makes sense to go
through other legal forms and designs on the way there.

But take it up with the Canadian Cohousing Network... now that they're up
and running, our (print, and possibly soon web) listings are just of U.S.
groups so we can concentrate our effort where it's not redundant.

Raines

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Where our parking plans are changing to reflect reality

  Secretary, Berkeley [CA] Cohousing
Where DSL sharing via wireless is all the rage.

  Facilitator, East Bay Cohousing [on hiatus] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Where Joani is running the Cohousing slide show tonight! See:
http://www.cohoco.com/cale.htm

  Boardmember, Coho/US <http://www.cohousing.org/>
The Cohousing Association of the United States, serving on the
Communications and Membership teams.