Re: On the dream of a threshold
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:22:03 -0600 (MDT)
We've been very happy with our roll-in entrance, even though neither of us
is currently using a wheelchair. It means a lot less effort getting in and
out of the house, especially while carrying things. The architect specified
some grading details that made it easy: a 'ridge' of dirt leading to our
front door, which was paved.

We did need to add extra drainage after the fact, when it became clear that
the 'ridge' helped define what turned in to a swimming pool in very heavy
rains. But, with the drain in place (a pipe poked through the ridge), life
is good (and dry).

We've had a wheel-chaired friend visit us a couple of times, and she gave us
reasonably high marks on our house. She did note that the common house
missed out on some light switch placement issues, however. And, we would
need to modify our kitchen if one of us was in a wheelchair and wanted to
keep cooking.

-Jim at New View (Acton MA)