re: newsletter
From: Dawn Caillouet (dawn.caillouetColorado.edu)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:34:04 -0600 (MDT)
Dear Elaine,
     (I'm a little confused about where this reply should be sent, so
included both addresses.)
     I live at Harmony Village Cohousing in Golden, CO.  I produce a
quarterly newsletter for the community.  This does not come out
frequently enough to serve the purpose you have in mind: timely news and
monthly calendars.  But that's a great idea, and the person here who
picked up your message is exploring that additional possibility. We have
the same problem of not everyone being on the listserv, not all the news
getting on the listserv, not everyone being around enough to get the
news (me, for instance; I work and have very little time in the Village
except on weekends).
     Our quarterly presents features and news that are not
time-dependent: profiles on members and associate members (renters),
features about special interests of members (e.g., an 80+year-old who
has been involved in peace activities since her college days), a
gardening feature from our Master Gardener, etc.
     My bind is money.  I have just, with the last few issues, succeeded
in having the newsletter printed at Kinko's - 8 pages in booklet style -
a much more professional look than we've had from copying on a copy
machine (the people in the photos were almost unrecognizable; now with
professional printing, the photos are pretty good).  Kinko's doesn't
charge much, but neither is the community (or some of the members)
willing to devote much money to this cause (although everyone loves the
new look).  So far I'm within budget.  We'll see what happens with the
last 2 issues of 2003.
     Our newsletter would be great for marketing (and has been used that
way), but because of the cost, I'm not having extra copies printed and
no one seems to be demanding them. We rarely have an opening for new
residents and when we do, we have a waiting list a mile long.  Other PR
is good, of course (including spreading the concept of cohousing), but
if you want to promote your idea in that direction, I think you'd have
to include some news/articles that would be of more interest to
"outsiders."
     This doesn't help you much, I expect, since you're aiming in a
different direction.  It would be interesting to know what other
communities do.
Good luck!
Dawn