Re: Cohousing Conference-Work Participation
From: pattymara (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:14:07 -0600 (MDT)

--- Robert Heinich <robert_heinich [at] juno.com> wrote:
Patty,

Would you be kind enough to post what your group uses to make it crystal clear
to prospects about the expectations of work tasks.  (I am hoping it is captured
in a document.)

- Robert Heinich
  Eno Commons
  Durham, NC

Dear List,
Here is the one page document which we give to prospective buyers or renters
interested in living at Tierra Nueva (central CA coast).  It is one page only
because members who are selling their house asked for something simple they
could pass out at open houses or individual interviews.  We also have a larger
"Resident Guide" which includes descriptions of committees, consensed
agreements, policies, contact info and other background information helpful
both to orienting new residents and reminding current residents of our shared
agreements.
coheartedly,
PattyMara

Introduction to Prospective Residents
        Cohousing communities are small scale neighborhoods that provide a new
kind of balance between personal privacy and sharing community life with nearby
neighbors.  The process of buying or renting a home in cohousing is different
than conventional real estate.
         If you are considering living at Tierra Nueva Cohousing it is highly
recommended that you attend a HOA Business meeting (third Thursday monthly, 7
pm in the Common House) to experience consensus decision making.  We also
recommend attendance at a Community Life meeting (first Saturday monthly, 8 am
potluck, Common House with meeting following at 9 am) where we discuss
interpersonal community issues.  One of the most enjoyable ways to learn about
your prospective neighbors at Tierra Nueva is to attend the shared meals we
call Comida Nueva (most Mon., Wed, and Sat. evenings, 6 pm, Common House, $4.00
per meal) which requires signing up in the kitchen a few days before.  All of
these recommended activities will give you a clearer picture of both the
?perks? and the ?work? of living in an intentional neighborhood community.  If
you wish, a sponsor (a current resident) can be assigned to answer any
questions you may have.
        Tierra Nueva?s homes were completed in 1998, and we credit our first
five years of success to our residents? commitment to acknowledge and support
both individual and group needs.  These needs are reflected in the following
consensed principles:
Statement of Community Principles
Care for the Environment
1.  We participate in and support community efforts toward increasing
environmental sustainability.  These efforts include the use of organic methods
in landscaping and vegetable gardening, conservation of the avocado trees and
open space, recycling, the elimination of toxic materials, and the use of
sustainable forms of energy whenever feasible.

Common Space and Private Space
1.  We respect and care for community property and are aware of others?
feelings concerning the use and maintenance of common open space and common
facilities.
2.  We respect each other?s needs relating to private property and to privacy
in our homes, including needs for visual aesthetics and quiet.
3. To enable this mutual respect for both private needs and common facilities,
individuals take responsibility for making their needs known to other members
of the community.

Community Relationships and Responsibilities
1.  We respect the community?s diversity in age; gender; cultural, spiritual
and political values; owner or renter status; sexual preference; racial
origins; and physical and mental status.  We listen attentively to what people
say, both at meetings and in daily life.
2.  We respect each other?s physical and emotional boundaries and, when
appropriate, take individual responsibility for making these boundaries known.
3.  We attend community meetings and participate in the consensus
decision-making process, and we openly express ideas and feelings relating to
community issues.
4.  We encourage that when individuals have a problem that can affect the
community, they will make a strong effort to openly communicate with each
other, and avoid making negative statements to third parties.  We also
encourage the two parties, if necessary, to invite a third party to act as
mediator.  As a final resort, they can bring the issue to a community meeting
or the Home Owners Association Board.
5.  We each are responsible for completing her/his fair share of ongoing
community work tasks, including common house cleaning, Comida Nueva cooking and
cleaning duties, landscaping and grounds maintenance work, and tasks listed for
monthly Work Days.  Some flexibility can be expected because of individual
physical capabilities or not participating in Comida Nueva meals.
6.  We contribute our individual skills and energy to the community by
participating in committee work and other special community efforts.
7.  We pay money owned to the community, such as monthly Home Owners
Association fees, in a timely fashion.  If problems in paying arise, we discuss
the problems with the responsible person(s) ahead of the due date, so that a
resolution can be reached.