investing reserves - beyond fixed income
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:50:04 -0600 (MDT)
Jim here, from New View at Acton MA.

Our reserves are slowly increasing, as is appropriate for a slowly aging
development that will need expensive stuff in the future - roofs, siding,
and so on.

Right now all the money is in various fixed investments - savings, CDs, and
so on.

Some, looking at our long time frames, and seeing how much difference a
slight increase in return could make, have suggested exploring some
investments that risk equity to various degrees in return for better
returns - bond funds, index funds, socially responsible investment funds.

Have other coho groups gone this route, or had these conversations? If you
have, and are willing to talk about it, I'd love to get a couple of us from
New View on the phone with a few of you and pick your brains for a few
minutes.

Reply to me at jimsg at newview.org & let me know when might be good times
to chat.

Or, if you have short answers of general interest, reply to all..

Thanks!

-Jim, at New View cohousing in Acton MA.

Brief news:

A subcommittee is discussing whether or not to add some pavement somewhere
for a basketball court. The court in the parking lot is getting very
popular, but avoiding using the same surface for cars & people playing games
seems to many to be one reason they moved to cohousing.

We are clarifying agreements for how committees can adjust their budgets
mid-year.

Yoga and Pilates classes in the Common House are on vacation for a bit &
will resume shortly. We are about to start up an acting & expressive arts
class.
--
Jim Snyder-Grant
jimsg [at] newview.org