RE: Refining concerns / needs in a timely way
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:16:09 -0600 (MDT)
Becky asked about clarifying what I was interested in around identifying
needs and concerns in a timely way. I am looking for techniques groups use.
I have seen this go quickly (not many needs or concerns) and I have seen
this take 3 meetings (Lots of needs and concerns, each one processed in
turn). What I was asked for is how groups do this, what methods they use,
etc. I am especially interested in techniques with large groups, over 25
people, with lots of needs and concerns. One thing I have observed is that
there is a balance of willingness to invest personal time in dealing with
peoples stuff in meetings. There are some people who are willing to spend
lots of time on this sort of thing, there are others who are not very
tolerant of it, and want meetings to be short and to the point. It is also
my observation that folks from the later point tend to drop out of meetings
that take too long processing peoples stuff. I have also observed that
sometimes this amounts to half or more of a group not partipating because
meetings are too much tied into processing peoples stuff (needs and
concerns). Often these folks who drop out complain loudly about endless
processing, etc.

So I am also wondering, how do you keep these people happy when processing
needs and concerns, or do you just ignore the fact that they drop out?

Rob Sandelin
South Snohomish County at the headwaters of Ricci Creek
Sky Valley Environments  <http://www.nonprofitpages.com/nica/SVE.htm>
Field skills training for student naturalists
Floriferous [at] msn.com

---