Re: Consensus in cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.us)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:39:10 -0600 (MDT)
On 8/4/03 1:36 PM, "Becky Schaller" <bschaller [at] theriver.com> wrote:

> I've also heard that for Quakers the faith component is a crucial part of
> consensus.  Cohousing does not have this.

As we start another round of discussions on consensus, can we also define
the word as each of us is using it. I've also been told that what Quaker's
use is NOT consensus but a "sense of the meeting" which is a whole different
thing. A Quaker in our community was quite adamant about this.

My own definition is "no objections". An action can proceed if there are no
objections. It doesn't mean everyone agrees necessarily, but under the
circumstances, given all the information available at this time, including
the wishes of others, no one has objections.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org