Re: "Like-Minded"
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:06:06 -0600 (MDT)
Hi again-

Eastern Village Cohousing attracted 2 African-American women among our very
first members and are well on our way to becoming one of the most racially
diverse cohousing groups I know of.  We also have a huge range of ages and
faiths within the community - including both leading edge Generation Y types
buying a first home and folks who lived through WWII buying a last one.  I
think the reason for this is that the greater community, Silver Spring/Takoma
Park, Maryland, is very diverse and living next door to people of other races,
ages, ethnicities and religions is something that isn't particularly unusual
here.

Note sure of the politics thoughout the group, but this part of Maryland is
pretty uniformly moderate and left, so I think that's probably one of the
things we'll turn out to have in common.

Looking with a facilitator's eye, I can already see some cultural and
generational communication patterns/preferences creating confusions we will
have to explicitly address (once we're through dealing with our lightning speed
development process).  Guess there will be some fun to be had as we go??

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
www.easternvillage.org
Silver Spring, MD
"Where my 12-year-old has joined the Kids R Us committee - and nothing makes a
cohousing mom's heart go pitter-pat like a child who wants a say in her
community and is willing to sit through meetings to do it!