Re: Re: rental issue
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:03:06 -0600 (MDT)
I personally find it very difficult to have stray people wandering in and
out of the community, particularly when they use commonhouse facilities (we
have many). I think because we are a comparatively large urban community
with a large proportion of singles we have people

1. leasing units because they are in Rome or where ever,

2. renting rooms to short termers because they need a roommate to help pay
the rent but don¹t want a permanent renter

3. sharing units with significant others who may not be permanent

4. boarding friends on a semi-regular basis.

One important aspect of community is that it has boundaries -- it can be
defined. While some of these people become parts of the community very
quickly, it always means time and energy to bring them up to speed. For
those who remain peripheral, it affects ambience and drains resources.

A quiet night on the piazza is not the same with strangers present.

Somewhere in the middle of "the same boring people all the time" and "no
idea who will be here next" there is of course a happy middle but the
question is how one maintains it when one can say no.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org