individual sponsorship
From: shardon5 (shardon5juno.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:28:12 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,
What strikes me in the discussion so far is that Liz seems to be talking about
a system where a purchase or project comes up for discussion and the community
either consenses on it and pays for it, or it doesn't.  Alternately there is
the system in Sonora, where Racheli, Becky, and I live, where we have developed
an extensive "wish list" of consensed upon purchases without final approval to
complete the purchase.  In our community this happened because we moved into
our community with the happy circumstance that there was more than 100 big ones
left over from the construction budget for us to spend.  Now that we have just
completed the process of applying that money to the "wish list" we have part of
that list remaining in limbo since the funds ran out before we reached the
bottom.  There is some sentiment towards maintaining that list as future funds
accumulate (there is a process in place for accumulating funds), but others
feel that that isn't worth doing since it is likel
 y that new, more pressing desires will arise and/or desire for the previous
items will change.  I would like to hear Liz's opinion to a scenario where the
community decides that it wants a garden gazebo costing 10,000 dollars but can
only agree to begin saving money at the rate of 5000 annually.  Some one or two
folk who spend more time in the garden and want it sooner volunteer to pay for
it now.  Ignoring the loan alternative, is this corrupting?  Don Arkin