Re: Common House Usage Questions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:35:07 -0600 (MDT)
On 10/01/2003 12:09 PM, "Bonnie Fergusson" <fergyb2 [at] yahoo.com> wrote:

>   We have a large outdoor table with plastic outdoor
> chairs that sits on a patio/walkway area right outside
> our Common House front door, overlooking the garden
> which seems to work well as a spontaneous casual
> gathering spot.  People often bring their dinner
> plates out there on hot nights that we aren't having
> common meals and eat together.

We also have this. The piazza is partially enclosed by fire stairs and
beyond it is the green where children are allowed to throw balls. Adults
also sit on the green, but the tables just outside the commonhouse are often
occupied during the late afternoon and early evening hours spring through
fall while children run around.

If I had to guess, I would say that trays so people can carry their own food
around would be the top feature that facilitates hanging out. Bringing your
own food gets around the problem of meals being "on time." People can wander
in and out.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org