Single Hung Winodws
From: Jack Wilbern (jwilbernbutzwilbern.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:26:13 -0700 (MST)

Have any cohousing groups used single hung windows? We are thinking of
going to single-hung windows in order to be able to keep the fiberglass
windows that were in our original specifications (due to their low
U-values.) What experience does anyone have with single-hung windows?
Do you recommend them? Why or why not?

While I'm on the topic of windows, I may as well post a question about
vinyl windows. What does anyone have to say about them, good, bad, or
indifferent?

Thanks everyone!

--Diane Simpson

At Blueberry Hill (Vienna, Virginia) we have vinyl, single hung windows. In our case, the single hungs are quite tall (6'0" with an 8'0" head height) and seem to be a good idea since it would be almost impossible for anyone to properly close the upper sash. From a natural cooling perspective double hungs are great but in real world applications and especially at our longitude, or farther north, its the cooling load I worry about and that requires a tight seal or in this case a properly closed and latched condition. The vinyl windows were manufactured by Superseal and have performed pretty well over the past three years. Vinyl is usually subject to a great deal of thermal movement so the details around them need to take that into account if you want them to have good weather sealed joints

Jack Wilbern, RA
Butz•Wilbern
McLean, Virginia

Architecture