Re: Pond Safety
From: James Kacki (jimkackimb.sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:34:11 -0700 (MST)

I believe the Codes usually say that anything over 2 feet deep needs a fence for safety. I installed a goldfish pool that was about 10 feet by 4feet (organic shape) that was 2 feet six inches deep at its deepest and it was OK. They usually get green or brown or cloudy (natural looking) and the bottom fills with silt so you can't really see the bottom anyway. I think even if it was much longer & wider, that depth would be OK. This description doesn't sound too appealing but it looked good- very natural. Good design, Plants (in and out of the water) and fish& rocks and a stream or waterfall (easy to do) make all the difference. God luck with your project. I encourage you to go ahead with it you won't regret it!!
Jim

Bambi Rattner wrote:

Hi!

I'm part of a cohousing community that's considering
adding a pond to our site plan, and some issues about
safety have come up--particularly in regard to
children.  Obviously a pond isn't like a pool in that
you can't easily put up a fence around it (and no one
particularly wants to anyway).  So we're wondering if
there's another community out there with a pond or a
lake that's dealt with safety issues.  Any advice or
shared experiences would be greatly appreciated!